Counselling & Relationship Counselling
Relationship counselling - also known as couples counselling or marriage guidance - is not just for couples. Many people experience difficulties in their relationships at some stage, brought about by issues such as work, family, money and ill health.
It's a sign you may need relationship counselling when:
- Communication breaks down.
- You feel unsupported or take each other for granted.
- Trust has been broken, ie through an affair or secret debts, for example.
- You feel unable to move forward or plan ahead.
- Sex has ended or is causing problems.
- You are arguing a lot, with issues never getting resolved.
- You are angry or have violent outbursts.
- You are depressed or suffer from anxiety.
- You repeatedly have health problems.
- You have poor self-esteem or lack of confidence resulting from a previous relationship.
- You keep repeating negative habits or patterns within relationships.
People see counsellors for a variety of reasons:
- Divorce and separation.
- Anxiety and stress.
- Poor self-image.
- Low self-esteem and confidence.
- Feelings of loneliness or isolation.
- Problems at work.
- The impact of ill health.
It can sometimes be difficult to put into words, but you may feel generally unhappy or discontent with life.
What you can expect from counselling...
I will provide you with a supportive, non-judgemental and confidential environment in which to explore your problems. Counselling can assist you to identify your own personal resources, capabilities and resilience which are sometimes lost or buried in times of confusion and anxiety. It may enable you to see your circumstances afresh and with clarity so that you can make the necessary changes that will help you at this particular stage of your life.
I will not make decisions for you or impose opinions, but will respect your individual needs.
This great YouTube video from The School of Life gives a simple explanation of couples therapy.
What are the benefits?
Throughout counselling, you will be encouraged, supported and empowered to look at yourself from a different perspective. The aim is not only to help you cope with a current issue or problem, but to do so in a way that produces learning for the future. This will help you feel more in charge of your life and improve your overall wellbeing.
"Coming from a bad place in our relationship sexually and spiritually, being bogged down by the day-to-day, we have been able to move past all that and get back in touch as a couple. We would highly recommend it to couples struggling to have a safe space to communicate and build their relationship before throwing in the towel and ruining a decent family."
What's the cost?
£60.00 per session.
I offer two reduced cost sessions per week, so please feel free to enquire if money is an issue for you.
British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
Get Self Help
Action for Happiness
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)