Counselling in Ashby de la Zouch
Specialist Sex and Relationship Psychotherapist to help your relationship grow stronger
Julie Maxwell MSc: Relationship Counselling - Psychosexual Therapy - Clinical Supervision - Based in Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire
Welcome to my website. If you have reached this point, I imagine you have a problem you would like to deal with or are searching for the right therapist for you.
To introduce myself... I am an experienced Sex and Relationship Psychotherapist (accredited by the BACP and College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists) and Clinical Supervisor based in Ashby de la Zouch. I specialise in relationship counselling (also known as couples counselling or, previously, marriage guidance) for couples and individuals. I see a wide range of people, from those who are experiencing problems within their relationship to those who are single and hoping to find love in a new relationship.
In conjunction with this, I also specialise in psychosexual therapy (or sex therapy) for couples and individuals of any age and sexual orientation. Please see the Psychosexual Therapy page for further details of the issues I can help with.
I have over 18 years of experience in assisting clients with their mental, emotional and physical wellbeing, taking a holistic and compassionate approach to working through issues and problems.
My areas of expertise:
- Relationships - for example: repetitive arguments, poor communication, broken trust, affairs, relationship breakdown, lack of support, taking each other for granted, unable to move forward or plan ahead, divorce or separation.
- Intimacy: sexual function and sexual feelings.
- Sexual abuse and childhood sexual abuse.
- Relationships with family, friends or colleagues.
- Grief and loss.
- The aftermath of suicide.
- Low self-esteem and confidence.
- Health, wellbeing and dealing with illness.
- Loss of direction, meaning and purpose.
- Angry or violent outbursts.
Acknowledging a problem can be difficult and asking for help isn't easy, so if you would like to talk through how I can assist you with the problems you are facing then please phone me on 07500 716 801.
About the sessions...
The first session will be an assessment of your situation, so that we can decide on the best way forward for you. There's also a bit of paperwork to complete, including details on confidentiality and what you can expect from the counselling sessions. If you would like to see my full privacy statement, please let me know.
It is likely that you will attend weekly, however fortnightly counselling appointments are possible, depending on your needs. One-off sessions are also available, useful perhaps if you want to talk through an issue you cannot share with anyone else.
I offer daytime and evening appointments on Mondays and Tuesdays.
It is impossible to say how many sessions you will need - that decision is yours. However, clients typically attend between 6 and 20.
My counselling practice is in non-domestic premises in Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire (within easy reach of Swadlincote, Burton on Trent, Derby, Coalville, Leicester, Loughborough, Tamworth).
I am an experienced, Relate-trained counsellor (BACP accredited), sex therapist (COSRT accredited) and clinical supervisor, who works with both individuals and couples of any age, gender and sexual orientation, in Ashby de la Zouch.
As a therapist, I recognise that you may not find it easy to talk to a stranger about your problems. Giving voice to our problems makes them real and sometimes we don't even know how they came about, let alone how to feel better about ourselves or the situation we find ourselves in. I will provide you with a caring, supportive, professional and confidential environment in which we will look at, and find a way through, the problems you are experiencing (either individually or as a couple). And, don't worry, you won't be coerced into doing or saying anything you don't want to - I feel passionate about empowering you to make changes that you identify to create a more fulfilling life.
In addition to our relationships, keeping our sex lives fresh and fulfilling can be challenging. I am experienced in working successfully with sexual dysfunctions and difficulties, both for individuals and couples, in addition to the impact of childhood sexual abuse and mental health on intimacy.
As a supervisor, I offer clinical supervision and support to counsellors and other staff working in healthcare or the caring professions. I provide supervision from my practice in Ashby de la Zouch or in the workplace, to both individuals and groups.
Here are my qualifications:
- Certified Cyber Therapist (Online Therapy Institute).
- MSc (with Merit) in Psychosexual Therapy (University of Central Lancashire).
- University Advanced Diploma in Couple Counselling (Relate Institute, University of Hull).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Relationship Therapy - Psychosexual Therapy (Relate Institute, University of Hull).
- Relate Counsellor Graduate Certificate.
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision (Relate Institute).
- EMDR Training (Richman EMDR Training).
- Level 4 Certificate in Integrating Mindfulness and Compassion in Professional Practice.
- Certificate in Coaching (Your Business in Mind).
- Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (University of Derby).
And a bit of additional information...
- The NHS Psychosexual Service Lead for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
- A registered and accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
- An accredited member of the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT).
- A member of the EMDR Association UK & Ireland (EMDR Association UK & Ireland).
- A member of the British Society for Sexual Medicine (British Society for Sexual Medicine).
- BUPA registered.
- Am DBS checked (enhanced).
- Hold full professional indemnity insurance.
The next step...
It's important that you feel comfortable with your choice of therapist, so please feel free to call me to discuss what you would like to get out of counselling, as well as for me to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Please leave a message and I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Alternatively, email me at [email protected].